Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
These are library materials that library patrons are allowed to check out.
If the book is not available at Barry, and is available at a Southeast Florida Library Information Network (SEFLIN) member library, current Barry students, faculty, and staff are allowed to check out the book from most SEFLIN member libraries. All you need is a SEFLIN card (the card is available at the circulation desk) and your current Barry ID.
SEFLIN Member Institutions
Policy and Procedures
A valid library card must be used to borrow materials from Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library. Please remember that fifteen (15) minutes prior to closing, there will be NO checking out of library materials or depositing of funds to print/copy accounts.
- Community Borrowers (Community Borrowers are defined as local, Miami Shores residents) must have a current, valid photo ID with Miami Shores address.
- Barry University Faculty, Staff, and currently enrolled Students will need to have a valid Barry University Photo ID Card, which serves as the library card at the Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library.
- Patrons from participating SEFLIN institutions must present a current SEFLIN access card from their home library and either a current employee or student ID from member institution or a current photo ID.
- Barry University Alumni must have their Barry University alumni card and a current Photo ID.
- Community Borrowers (Community Borrowers are defined as local, Miami Shores residents) must have a current, valid photo ID.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR LIBRARY CARD USE
The library card holder assumes the responsibility for all items to the library card, and must guarantee the safe return of all library materials. If an item is lost, stolen, or damaged, the card holder is responsible for all replacement related costs. A library card may not be loaned to another person. Cards that are found and/or are turned in to Circulation Desk will be delivered to the Lost and Found department in Landon Hall.
- SEFLIN Member Patrons may check out up to 5 items for 3 weeks. No renewals are allowed.
- Barry Alumni and Community Borrowers (Community Borrowers are defined as Miami Shores residents) may check out up to 5 items for two weeks. No renewals are allowed.
- Barry University Faculty and Staff may check out up to 50 items until the end of the current semester. 2 Renewals are allowed as long as there is not a hold request for the item.
- Barry University Undergraduate Students may check out up tp 20 items for 3 weeks. 2 renewals are allowed as long as there is not a hold request for the item.
- Barry University Graduate Students may check out up to 30 items for 6 weeks. 2 renewals are allowed as long as there is not a hold request for the item.
- Barry Alumni and Community Borrowers (Community Borrowers are defined as local, Miami Shores residents) may check out up to 5 items for two weeks. No renewals are allowed.
- Reserve Materials - These circulate for 2 hours of use within the library. Instructors may assign some materials different loan periods.
- Videos and DVDs - Barry University Students may check out Videos and DVDs for 3 days with no renewals. Barry University Faculty and Staff may check out Videos and DVDs for 1 week with one renewal. Overdue fines for Videos and DVDs accrue at the rate of $2.00 per day.
- Audiobooks and Music CDs - These may be checked out by all patrons for 1 week with one renewal. Overdue fines accrue at the rate of $1.00 per day.
- Other materials - Materials such as Reference books, periodicals and other items marked "DO NOT CIRCULATE" may not be checked out of the library.
RENEWING AND RETURNING MATERIALS
- Renewing Materials may be done at the Circulation Desk, online via BLISSWeb catalog, or by phone at 305-899-3760. When calling to renew, please speak with a circulation staff member personally. Renewals will not be done based on a message left on the answering machine. Most materials may be renewed unless they have been requested by another borrower.
- Returning Materials may be done at the library. Please use the book return slot at the Circulation Desk or the outside book drop.
- All materials should be returned by the Due Date. Patrons are responsible for returning or renewing items by the due date.
- Overdue Notices are e-mailed to Barry Mail accounts. If there is no e-mail account listed, they will be sent via postal mail. Failure to receive an overdue notice does not absolve anyone from paying overdue fines and/or replacement charges.
- Library Overdue Fines
- General Circulating items -.25 cents per day per item.
- Reserve Materials - $2.00 per hour per item
- Videos and DVDs - $2.00 per day per item
- Audiobooks and Music CDs - $1.00 per day per item
- The BILL FOR NON-RETURNED ITEM notice is issued with a replacement charge of $70.00 per item. This notice will be sent for each item not returned or renewed within 30 days after the due date. Users not returning items promptly may be blocked from further borrowing until all overdue and billed items have been resolved.
Payment of Fines and Replacement Charges
- Overdue fines and Replacement charges must be paid at the Barry University Business Office. The Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library does not accept payment in the library for any fine or fee. Barry University will not release grades or transcripts until all charges are paid.
- Items checked out are subject to recall at any time, usually for use by another patron or to be placed on Reserve. You should receive a Recall Notice informing you if this occurs. If you receive a Recall Notice, please note that the due date on the notice may be different from the original due date stamped in the item being recalled. Please return the recalled item immediately.
- Recalled Items may not be renewed.
CONFIDENTIALITY OF CIRCULATION RECORDS
Please be assured that your patron record, which contains personal information and record of all materials currently checked out, remains confidential.